Sunday, January 16, 2011

Family Visits Begin....a Southern Start: Foggia & Ascoli Satriano

The last time in Italy, my mom, Lee, & I were graciously welcomed by ALL the family and this time was a repeat of heartwarming hospitality, generosity, and familial love. Our church group departed Rome for the USA on Friday 4/23; Steve & I headed southeast by rail to Foggia, home of Ciccio, Teresa, Giovanni & Carmela. (Carmela had been delayed while travelling in the US due to volcanic ash, airplane cancellations. We were disappointed to have missed her.)

Ciccio & Teresa were our hosts for a couple of days & took us to see family & friends in Ascoli Satriano, where we surprise-visited Anna, Mario/Paola & family, the family Mastracchio/Miscio. This is where Lee's mom & dad were born! Ciccio & Teresa also drove us to the Puglia coast: fortess at Castello Sant' Angelo & San Giovanni Rotundo where Padre Pio taught & preached.

The joy & excitement of seeing everyone again was overwhelming & was to be a bittersweet journey of elation yet sadness as I felt I was dogging the haunted shadows, in the footsteps of where mom & I began the same family adventure 7 years ago. I was there again reliving the journey for the two of us.