Thursday, May 20, 2010

How the Greece-Italy trip came about:

Alexander Graham Bell hit it right: "when one door closes, another door opens"; then there's the caveat: you've got to look around to notice the open door.

When dad passed a few years ago, his memory was brought to life for me again through his sweetheart Georgia who now lives in a little town near Sparta on the Peloponnese. We talked & wrote. Had it really been almost 30 years? I want to come visit, is that ok? Wait, she said, the time's not right ...

Mom passed last year. I still smile remembering the two of us adventurerers marching up & down Italy together in '03. We met so many 2nd & 3rd cousins, and cousins 'removed' to make my head spin! 'Now tell me again: how are they related?' And, I desperately wanted to revisit my Italian families. Even more, could I wish her gentle spirit back in step with me? When and how could we embark on such a trip?

So several months ago when our church announced a tour to follow the path of St Paul from Greece to Rome, the new door opened. We took note... and we walked through...